What Happens After a Drunk Driving Arrest?
Bach Law: Trusted NYC DUI & DWI Attorney
As a trusted DWI lawyer, many who get arrested after drunk driving turn to our law office for help with legal action. There is a lot to know about what happens after a drunk driving arrest and we are there to help you through this difficult time.
After a person gets arrested for drunk driving, a court date gets assigned. And if that person is charged with a DWI or DUI, then a decision will need to be made on how to handle the arrest. You can either fight the arrest, take a plea deal, or proceed to trial. And our law office will make sure the right choice is made during this time.
When you get arrested, there might be some defenses available to use against the charges. Some of those defenses include:
- No probable cause to pull the car over.
- The person arrested was not driving the vehicle.
- Insufficient evidence to make an arrest.
- The test itself or the results were unreliable or inaccurate.
DWI Arrest Factors to Consider
There are also some key factors when determining whether the defendant can be convicted of a DUI or if the charges will be dismissed. Some of these factors include:
- The location of the person intoxicated (like if they are in the driver's sear or if they are in the passenger's seat)
- Whether the person is asleep or awake.
- Where the car is parked. Is it in a parking lot, the driveway, the side of the road? Placement of the car matters.
- The location of the car keys. Are they in the ignition? On the floor? In the person's pocket?
So if you are facing DWI or DUI charges, then it is likely in your best interest to find a law office that will fight for you. We can help you choose the right path for your charges. We will help you decide what factors are applicable under the laws what is the right course of action for you. Our law office can help with all sorts of traffic tickets.
Penalties You Face from Drunk Driving
There are a lot of different consequences you will face after a drunk driving arrest. It depends on the severity of the incident. At our law office, we will fight for your to make sure justice is served and that the punishment fits the crime. Here are some of the common penalties you may face after the DUI or DWI arrest.
- Serious criminal fines
- Suspension or restriction of your license
- Loss of your driver's license
- community service
- Mandated drunk driving courses
- Increased insurance rates
- The inability to work at a job that requires driving a vehicle. The employer has the right to know about the arrest and terminate the job due to a DUI conviction.
If there are other crimes in connection to the drunk driving incident, then the punishment will be harsher. For example, if someone was severely injured due to the actions of a drunk driver, then the consequences will likely be jail time. Also, if the person with the DWI or DUI had a drunk driving offense already on their record, then they will likely have tougher consequences, such as paying higher fines.
Contact Bach Law Today
The Law Office of M Daniel Bach has years of experience working with clients coming off a DWI or DUI arrest across the greater NYC area. Get in touch with us today for a no-obligation consultation to go over your situation. We help we all sorts of traffic tickets, too, and can be your traffic court defense lawyer. So please, do not hesitate to reach out to our law office and get a staff that will work vigorously for you!